Geotechnical Engineer – Newmont Mining Corporation (Ghana) Jobs 2019
Newmont Ghana (Newmont Mining Corporation Ghana) is recruiting a Geotechnical Engineer to assist in the technical and Geological Operations of the mining company.
- Provide geotechnical advice to all functions within Technical Services, Geology and Operations on site;
- Work with the Engineers and mining personnel to implement the Ground Control Management Plan, Ground Support Standards and QA/QC on ground support;
- Actively participate in mine planning activities;
- Prepare reports and maintain records as required; and
- Work closely with the Planning Engineers.
- Prepare and implement the Geotechnical standards and procedures for the Geotechnical department and be responsible for the standards being met
- Prepare rock mass quality assessments and assessing the effects of current mining activity to localized mine stability.
- Be involved in the budget preparation activities for the geotechnical team which include ground management review of the proposed business plan and highlight possible cost implications such as increased ground support and ground monitoring.
- Assist with the quality control program for installed ground support. This includes working with operations and other geotechnical engineering staff to deliver QA/QC information and test results in a timely manner.
- Advising on pillar design, mining sequencing, ground support design, etc;
- Analyzes stope design, including a potential for overbreak
- Analyzes and report on grouting programs
- Participate in site investigations and reporting on ground falls and rock noise
- Monitor and report on mine seismicity.
- Assess geotechnical risks and develop mitigation plans
Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety, and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings
Training & Experience
- Tertiary qualifications in Science, Engineering or Geology with geo-mechanical subjects or a geotechnical upgrade to the degree;
- A minimum of 3 years experience in underground mining, predominantly in geotechnical engineering and including operational experience.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access)
- Knowledge of Deswik, Vulcan, Dips, Unwedge, Phases, and Map 3D programs is preferred
- Combination of office and UG mining conditions.
- Moist wet surfaces with a section of continuous waterfall.
- Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and ear muffs.
- A dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit headgear.
- Underground conditions include steep decline with a section of uneven terrain.
- Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
- Working with corrosive chemicals
How To Apply
The employee must be able to perform and work under the following conditions:
- Operate small hand-held tools, such as saws, hammers weighing up to 5 lbs. Operate underground and surface vehicles on haulage roads including a pre-operational inspection, mounting and dismounting vehicle, pushing and pulling knobs and levers, and turning steering wheels.
- Operate and hold a radio with sufficient voice and hearing to carry on a conversation for the purpose of following work assignments and providing feedback.
- Read, comprehend, interpret and learn literature, Material Safety Data Sheets MSDS, labels on products, warning signs, instructional manuals and numbers on monitors and gauges, to prevent loss of personnel, property, and process.
- Wear personal protective equipment including hard hat, steel toe shoes, safety glasses, respirators, wetsuits, earplugs, gloves, headlamp or any other equipment to perform duties safely.
- Walk and stand on uneven and wet surfaces.
About Newmont Mining Corporation
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities.